On Tuesday, May 14th, Allen & Gooch lost an exceptional attorney, colleague, and friend with the passing of beloved Partner Frank A. Flynn. We were lucky enough to enjoy his kindness, his monotone, but definitely not boring, jokes that were so unique to Frank, and, best of all, his friendship for nearly 40 years. The cherished memories below are just a few of the ways we remember and greatly miss our one-of-a-kind friend.
- He was such a gentleman. He said his name with such distinction, and he never raised his voice. He was always so calm and collected. I learned a lot from him working against him… We could always work it out. More importantly, he was also professional and kind. I enjoyed having him on the other side. My heart truly broke when I heard the news.
- He was a quiet, very good man and a devoted father and husband.
- A man-on-the-fly, Frank would never pre-book hotels in New Orleans for an annual conference. EVER. After dinner, he would just walk to some hotels to find availability, and would usually get a great deal at a nice hotel!
- Frank was someone that I could always call for advice. With his wealth of experience, he was one of the mentors that I relied upon.
- Frank was one of the nicest attorneys in the business. His calm, monotone manner could disarm the most combative personality. His civility and even temperament toward opposing counsel is something our profession could use more of today. I echo everyone’s sentiments that he will, truly, be missed.
- He was one of the greats of Louisiana Workers’ Compensation, and he taught attorneys on both sides that you could zealously represent your client while maintaining your humanity and your humility. Even before his passing, it would have been an exercise in futility to find anyone who practiced with, or against, him who would have said anything about Frank that was not a sincere compliment.
- I am devastated to hear of the passing of our friend, Frank Flynn. He was such a joy to be around and a pleasure to work with. I will be forever grateful for his friendship and kindness.
- I have fond memories of working with Frank for our respective clients. A true gentleman and the best example of professionalism.
- I had the pleasure of mediating numerous cases with Frank over the years. He was always prepared, knew what the cases were worth, and understood that “compromise” was not a bad word. I smile remembering how he would greet me for many of our initial caucus sessions by slowly shaking his head and saying, “Oh, Paul… I don’t know… You got your work cut out for you today…”. We would then invariably reach an appropriate settlement for all. Frank will surely be missed.
If you have a story you would like to share about Frank, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Allen & Gooch is providing this legal update for informational purposes only. This article should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion as to any specific facts or circumstances. You should consult your own attorney concerning your particular situation and any specific legal questions you may have.